Saturday, April 2, 2011

Roof Sheathing

Another be-a-u-tiful day in charming Durham, NC...





This end of the house is my main access point onto the roof, for both body and materials: 


You can see the rafter hanging off the edge. I slid each one up over the eaves, and then heaved it with as much force as I could muster so that it would land on the roof and wait for me to scramble up the ladder after it.


Here you can see the big beam that cuts the span for the lower rafters in half:


The beam is a double 2X10, with 2X4s (on the flat) wedged above it. So the beam acts as a 4X14 would, more or less.



The stud wall between the upper rafters and lower rafters delineates nicely in this photo where I want to have some small windows. Maybe not a window for every stud bay, but 3 or 4 would be nice to let morning sun into the kitchen.





I think the polo shirt has a lot to do with it, but Ian is looking more and more like a man, and less like a little boy. If it weren't for the chubby little legs and Toy Story, velcro kicks...






It seems like most times that my sister has the camera, she decides to capture an "artistic" shot. Here's her best attempt at "OH MY GOD! THE HOUSE IS TIPPING AND SLIDING INTO THE DUMPSTER! WHY DIDN'T WE TALK TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY SOONER?!?!":

No comments:

Post a Comment