Monday, November 29, 2010

logo feedback

I think I've realized that the goal of my (currently) very focused life is to end up as part of a building team within the next couple years. The solo projects have been a great way to meet people, and now I feel like I've linked myself into a community of builders/artists/thinkers who might be interested in collaborating year-round. 

In an effort to visually organize my journey thus far, and be able to communicate myself clearly to people, I've been working on a website that I hope to bring to life in the next couple weeks. It's taken a while to decide on a name, but after searching and searching with tea and a couch ("fit buildings," "appropriate structures," "fantasy cob," etc... - boring, boring, weird...), I've come right back to "cob & on." I feel now like I need a visually identity (it might be the design school graduate rooted in me), and so I devised a logo last night. I'm looking for feedback about it. What don't you like? What does it make you think of? Is the name confusing? These sorts of things. Thanks! 

*(note: I want to keep it just one color)


7 comments:

  1. It is hard for me to comment effectively because you have been using Cob&On for a while and so I am used to it and certainly know what it refers to. The building in the logo is also familiar. The question is how someone unfamiliar with cob would interpret it.
    The bottom does look a little Amoeba-like and the color is not exciting. I like the more ochre color of your eco center structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the top. The color could be a bit more red. The bottom I think is intended to be root-like but is has the hint of blood dripping. If the roots extended a bit farther I think it would be less Halloweeny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, that last comment was not uncle/greg critiquing his own logo, it was sister/elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Greg. I like the type. Love the house. The type is so solid and structural yet organic and individual. Can you turn the words into the picture? Or am I just an old married man trying to design vicariously through you... By the way, happy birthday in an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What will someone unfamiliar with cob think of this logo? If it is Cob "and On," what other skills/building methods are you representing with a picture of a cob house? I like the malleable quality of the font, not so much the "dripping roots" underneath - its not clear what exactly the form is. I'd like to see 4 different iterations of this idea executed for different users: the person who doesn't know what cob is, the builder whom wants a cob builder on their team, the couple looking to build their own home, the sustainability freak. Great progress, looking forward to that website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In terms of the logo maybe "Cob and More" would be better. A cob structure that looks more like a traditional structure - no roots and no curvy roof - might be more attractive to those who are not familiar with cob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy the simplicity of the logo. Color could be more applicable if it were in red earth clay tones. I really am attached to "Cob & On" however agree with folks regarding those who are unfamiliar with cob as a material. The "design/build" bit on the bottom does help.

    ReplyDelete