Friday, July 19, 2013

photos...

I went out to the land yesterday to meet with the septic system contractor, and figured I'd throw up another little building that I've been dreaming about. It's just a simple lean-to at the end of the driveway. It will function as a dry spot to use tools in if it's raining, during the framing process of the house. And once the house is complete, it will be a spot to store a wheelbarrow (for getting groceries from the car to the house), stroller, bikes, extra firewood, and other such things.



There seems to be quite a bit of fallen cedar in the woods, ready for harvesting! Cutting through a cedar log is one of the prettiest, and best-smelling parts of country carpentry.



Tulip poplar from the forest.




didn't quite finish with the metal roof before the day ended...

____

Today I built another little roof, this one here at the Carlton Project. The back entrance will be a lot dryer during a rainfall.



posts in place


fancy rafter tails




oops, I forgot to trim my rafters properly and they ended up the same length as the metal (and the metal needs to overhang on each end). So I had to trim off 4 inches after they were already up, and then re-prime and paint.






Here's what the front of the addition looks like:



I framed a built-in gutter with wood, and then wrapped the hanging EPDM over this frame to create the gutter:



Here is the detail where my home-made gutter meets the store-bought downspout (it looks ugly from this view, from you don't ever see this view unless you're on a ladder or the roof):



finished all the soffit and vent details:


No comments:

Post a Comment